Who knew that the bane of lunchboxes everywhere could be turned into something magical with a little bit of brown sugar, some mustard, a dash of hot sauce, and of course our favorite ingredient hickory smoke. Smoked bologna is one of those unexpected treats that if didn’t grow up in the Mid-West you are completely oblivious of and we are sad that we were unaware of it until now!
- 1 Pound of 1 inch thick sliced Bologna. Depending on where you live finding this can be little more challenging than you would think. We don’t live in an area where we can get a chub (I had full chub written but it just seemed vaguely dirty for a family barbecue blog), we ended up trying to explain to the deli counter person that we wanted an inch thick slab of bologna.
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Combine the Light Brown Sugar, Dijon Mustard, and the teaspoon of hot sauce together in a small bowl. Whisk them together well.
- Slather the thick bologna slices with the glaze. Reserve some for a mid smoke slather.
- Pre-Heat your smoker to 250 degrees. We like to use hickory chips for the smoked bologna. It gives a good smoke flavor with being over powering.
- Once the smoker is up to temperature put the glazed bologna slices into it and let is smoke for 1 hour.
- After an hour in the smoker flip the slabs over and give them another slather with the reserved glaze.
- Give them another half hour of smoke and then remove them form the smoker.
- Cut the smoked bologna slabs into cubes and serve warm.
These smoked bologna bites are awesome! Since we didn’t grow up in an area where these are served it has been a hard sell to our friends and family but after one bite we are getting a bunch of new converts. It might be time to track down a full chub!
Check Out Our Other Appetizers
More from my site
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to keep the content train rolling