Who says that grilling and smoking has to be a purely carnivorous pursuit? Grilled Pizza is a great way to get you use your grill for something else besides burning meat! Follow along and give our recipe for pizza a try.
Great grilled pizza begins with with a good dough. You can purchase dough from your local pizza place but homemade dough is quick, easy, and best of all cheap!
Best Homemade Pizza Dough
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine.
- While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces
- Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes
- After the dough has rested work it into 14 inch pies on a peel or a piece of cardboard. A little corn meal on the peel will help transfer the pizza to the grill.
Making The Pizza
Great grilled pizza begins with a great pizza sauce, lately we’ve been using this pizza sauce recipe. It hits all the right notes and well frankly it rocks!
Good cheese is a must as well, do your self a favor and skipped over the shredded stuff and buck up for some quality mozzarella and parmesan. This will make your homemade pizza pop!
The best homemade pizza is all about the toppings. A few of our favorites are:
- Cooked Italian Sausage Crumbles
- Sauteed Spinach
- Sauteed Onions
- Red Onions that have been quick pickled in red wine vinegar
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Bacon! Our home cured stuff is the bomb!
Taking It To The Grill
When your are making grilled pizza you will need a Pizza Stone. While the dough is resting it is a good time to get the stone nice and hot. A good hot pizza stone is what gives you a nice crispy so make sure you give it 10-15 on the grill with the the burners on HIGH.
Carefully transfer the pizza from your peel or piece of cardboard to the hot stone. Close the lid and give it a check every few minutes. We usually espouse temp over time but since all grills are a bit different this needs a close eye kept on it. It should be done in 6-12 minutes, look for “done-ness” around the edges and pull it off when it gets to where you like it!
Grilled Pizza Finale!
We don’t need to tell you how to eat your pizza or what adult beverage to enjoy with it but we will tell you that grilled pizza is awesome! We like to double or even triple up on the dough recipe and make a “Pizza on the grill”party out of it! Get a bunch of your favorite toppings ready and let your guests decide how they want their own grilled pizza. Trust us it is fun!
More from my site
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to keep the content train rolling