SPAM is the canned mystery meat that seems to languish on Supermarket shelves everywhere. Unless you are preparing for a Hurricane or are waxing nostalgically over Cold War bunkers SPAM just does not seem to penetrate into the mainstream. We are here to throw down the gauntlet and say “Yes!!! SPAM does have a place!” Bacon Wrapped SPAM is an awesome appetizer and party food if you are looking for something a little bit different.
Bacon Wrapped SPAM
These bacon wrapped SPAM bites are first coated in our famous Pork Rub, then wrapped in bacon, and finally smoked for around 2 hours.
- A can of SPAM
- 1/4 Cup of our famous Pork Rub. (when we make the rub we don’t add any salt when we are making it for this. The bacon and the SPAM have enough on their own.)
- 8 slices of bacon
- Remove the SPAM from it’s can.
- Cube the SPAM into 16 pieces.
- Put the SPAM cubes into a Zip-Loc bag with the 1/4 cup of rub. Shake the bag till you have a nice even coat on all of the cubes.
- Cut the 8 slices of bacon in half.
- Wrap the rub coated SPAM cubes with a half slice of bacon each. Hold the bacon onto the SPAM cube with a skewer. We have experimented and find that one wrap with the bacon is enough. Having open sides on the SPAM cube lets you get the flavor of the SPAM, the rub, and the bacon. Fully bacon wrapped SPAM cubes seem to be overwhelmingly bacon-ness.
- Pre-heat your smoker to 250 degress and add a handful of hickory chips.
- Place the bacon wrapped SPAM bites into the smoker.
- Smoke for 2 hours. The SPAM is a cooked meat so you really are just shooting for crispy bacon.
- Pull them out and let them cool down. They can be a little juicy and nuclear hot SPAM juice sort of leaves third degree burns on the roof of your mouth!
The Wrap Up
We like to serve these bad-boys with a Sriracha Honey Mustard (follow the link and give that one a try, it is amazing!) Get over you fear of the canned meat because Bacon Wrapped SPAM bites rock!
You might also like:
Try our awesome Armadillo Eggs
More from my site
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to keep the content train rolling